Vision Researcher / Data Scientist
The Ohio State University Havener Eye Institute is seeking applicants for faculty research positions within the expanding Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science. Qualified candidates will have a Ph.D., or M.D/Ph.D. and appropriate postdoctoral experience. Candidates need to have a strong record of peer-reviewed publications and funding commensurate with their rank. Successful candidates will be expected to establish and maintain an energetic, independent, and well-funded research program, and contribute to the educational, service, and scholarship missions of the OSU Wexner medical center. Faculty rank will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. OSU Wexner medical center encourages collegial work with faculty and other colleges that are located in close proximity to the Havener Eye Institute.
To fulfill its mission The Ohio State University Havener Eye Institute, Human Genetics Bioinformatics team is searching for a highly collaborative scientist to join an inter-disciplinary team to transform ophthalmic disease and clinical discoveries into testable therapeutic hypotheses. We are looking for a data scientist with experience with text analytics, biomedical ontologies and analyzing electronic health records (EHRs). The position will involve collaboration with vision researchers, statistical geneticists and wet-lab researchers to mine clinical data sets. The candidate will leverage publicly available data as well as proprietary data from organizations. The successful candidate will have a strong work ethic, ability to work independently as well as on highly collaborative teams, and a strong foundation in biostatistics and machine learning. This position with the OSU Havener Eye Institute provides a unique opportunity to work with information from human genetics, bioinformatics, and clinical data to support the development treatment pathways.
· Clean, organize and blend EHR data from multiple sources
· Convert unstructured text into structured text and integrate with EHR
· Develop patient stratification algorithms
· Collaborate to integrate EHR with functional data
· Collaborate and coordinate with external EHR resources and informaticians
· MD/PhD with experience in or PhD in a quantitative discipline (biomedical informatics, computer science, computational biology, biostatistics, statistics, statistical genetics, engineering, epidemiology)
· Experience with machine learning, exploratory data analysis, statistical modeling
· Scripting and Statistical programming skills
· Experience with managing, cleaning and normalizing large, multi-dimensional datasets
· Knowledge and experience with electronic health records (EHRs)
· Knowledge of clinical data standards and ontologies including ICD, SNOMED, etc.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills to both technical and non-technical colleagues
· Bonus: experience with Artificial Intelligence and natural language processing
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter detailing their current and future research interests, and current curriculum vitae, to:
OSU Havener Eye Institute
915 Olentangy River Rd., 5th flr.
Columbus, OH 43212
Attn: Matthew Ohr, MD, Interim Chairman
915 Olentangy river Rd
Columbus, OH 43212
The Havener Eye Institute seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, and community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The Ohio State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.