The Excellence in Medical Student Education Award will provide national recognition for an outstanding medical student educator on an annual basis. It is established through funding from the Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology (AUPO) and the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO). The award will be presented annually at the AUPO Annual Meeting and includes a cash prize.
The nomination period for 2021 is now closed.
2020 Excellence in Medical Student Education Award Recipient
Jamie Rosenberg, MD is Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and Pediatrics at Montefiore Medical Center / Albert Einstein College of Medicine. She is a specialist in pediatric ophthalmology and strabismus, teaching residents and students at her faculty practice in the Bronx. She has served as the Director of Medical Student Education in Ophthalmology since joining the Montefiore faculty in 2010. Over the past 10 years, she has been involved in every aspect of medical student education in ophthalmology. She has reshaped the ophthalmology curriculum at Einstein, adding teaching sessions during the neurosciences course, the medicine clerkship, and the surgery clerkship, plus revamping the eye section of the clinical skills course. The teaching sessions she has created engage the students through the use of flipped classroom and team-based learning - techniques she learned from her fellow educators at past AUPO annual meetings. Dr. Rosenberg advises every student who is considering ophthalmology as a specialty and guides those who choose ophthalmology through the application and match process. She was appointed Residency Program Director last year, which affords her a new vantage point for interaction with the students who will become ophthalmology residents.
Dr. Rosenberg is currently the past president of the AUPO Medical Student Educators Council. She is thrilled to see how strong this group has become during her time on the Council. She has been inspired by these dedicated educators and is certain they will continue to advance medical student education in ophthalmology.
Nominees for the Excellence in Medical Student Education Award must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a Member of AUPO and a Member or Fellow of the AAO
- Have served as a Medical Student Educator at an ACGME, LCME, or RCPSC-accredited AUPO member program for a minimum of two years
- Currently serve as the Medical Student Educator
- Embody the qualities of:
- commitment to medical student education
- dedication to the medical student education training process
- active engagement in medical student education program leadership
- innovation in and/or advancement of medical student education in Ophthalmology at the Regional, National or AUPO level
- a consummate teacher/mentor/advisor
Special consideration in the selection process will be given to:
- current activities, not simply to length of service or to contributions made many years previously
- nominees who have published in peer-reviewed literature on subjects related to medical student education
- innovative work
- those who have achieved a leadership role in medical education
- achievement in mentoring other educators/future educators
Candidates must be nominated by their Department Chair
The Application Packet must include the following items (10 pt. font or greater)
- A letter (not to exceed three pages) from the Chair summarizing the Nominee’s special qualifications for the Award and verifying that, if awarded
- the Awardee will attend the AUPO Annual Meeting to receive the award
- the cash prize will be awarded directly to the Awardee and not counted against normal compensation or deposited in department accounts
- Two supporting letters (each not to exceed two pages) from faculty, current medical students, or past medical students who trained under the Nominee
- A copy of the Nominee’s current Curriculum Vitae
- A signed letter from the Nominee (not to exceed two pages) summarizing the Nominee’s accomplishments as Medical Student Educator and plans for future activities. The Nominee must also agree in the letter to provide a presentation at the Annual Meetings of AUPO on a topic related to medical student education training if chosen as the Awardee.
- The application packet must be compiled by the Department Chair and submitted electronically by April 15.
All completed applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee and a recommendation forwarded to the AUPO Board of Trustees and the AAO Board of Trustee for approval.
The Awardee will be notified by July.