Established in 2021 by Dr. Rukhsana Mirza and Dr. Misha Syed (both AUPO members), WPO’s mission is to foster the professional growth and advancement for women ophthalmologists in academia through creation of a peer mentoring network of women Professors in our field. Through this network, WPO aims to enhance the professional development and equity of women in academic Ophthalmology.
WPO is currently working to create a network of mentors available to academic ophthalmologists for all stages of an academic career. This growing organization is intended to help women academic ophthalmologists connect and build relationships to guide and advance their own careers.
WPO looks forward to coordinating with other organizations that have overlapping objectives to further the mission of WPO by supporting those initiatives that enhance the professional development of women within academic ophthalmology. We anticipate hosting professional development talks and providing networking opportunities at upcoming meetings, including the AAO and AUPO annual meetings.
Please stay tuned for more information as this site evolves! More information coming soon!
Oct 18, 2023 - Webinar: The Legacy Mindset: Leaving Your Profession Better than You Found It
- Steven Feldon, MD, MBA - Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Professor, Center for Visual Science A&S (RC) at University of Rochester Flaum Eye Institute / Executive Vice President, Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology
- Paul Sternberg, Jr, MD - G.W. Hale Professor & Chair Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences / Director, Vanderbilt Eye Institute / Chief Medical Officer, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Shlomit Schaal, MD, PhD, MHCM - Executive VP & Chief Physician Executive, Houston Methodist / President & Chief Executive Officer, Houston Methodist Physician Organization
- Cynthia Toth, MD - Vice Chair of Clinical Research and Joseph A.C. Wadsworth Distinguished Professor of Ophthalmology, Duke Eye Center
Sept 2023 - May 2024 - Career Networking Program
Sept 21, 2023 - Developmental Network Kick off (open to all members)
Oct 5, 2023 - Mentee presentations of developmental network maps (open to previous cohorts)
Nov 16, 2023 - "Next steps"(open to previous cohorts)
Jan 11, 2024 - CV Review & Biosketches - Led by Christina Flaxel, MD and Kim Winges, MD
Feb 15, 2024 - Leadership - Led by Sandra Masur PhD and Lynn Gordon MD, PhD (open to all members)
April 18,2024 - Research - Led by ME Hartnett, MD and Susan Culican, MD, PhD (open to all members)
May 9, 2024 - Reflections
Congratulations to our 2022-2023 Mentee cohort on the completion of the WPO Mentoring Program:
- Tahira Scholle, MD - Baylor College of Medicine
- Christine Shieh, MD - Vanderbilt Eye Institute
- Mary Champion, MD - The University of Kansas Medical Center
- Annie Wishna, MD - University of Kansas
- Grace Sun, MD - Weill Cornell Med
- Sangeeta Khanna, MD - University of Michigan
- Mary Daly, MD - BUSM
- Merina Thomas, MD - OHSU Casey Eye Institute
- Amanda Henderson, MD - Wilmer/Johns Hopkins
- Afshan Nanji, MD, MPH - OHSU Casey Eye Institute
Podcasts – WPO Academia
WPO at AUPO Annual Meeting - January 26, 2023 - San Diego, CA
WPO at AAO Annual Meeting - October 1, 2022 - Chicago, IL