VA Ophthalmology Site Director
The Chalmers P Wylie Veterans Administration Health Care (Columbus, OH) is soliciting applications for the full-time position of Site Director of Ophthalmology. The Ophthalmology Section is affiliated with The Ohio State University Medical Center and the OSU Havener Eye Institute. Clinics and surgical facilities are located at the Columbus VA campus. There is a high volume of patients and recently renovated space with state-of-the-art equipment.
Candidates should be eligible for faculty appointment at The Ohio State University College of Medicine, have an academic record, and have demonstrated skill in leading clinical, research, and training programs. U.S. Citizenship, an MD or equivalent degree, an unrestricted license in any state, and Board Certification in Ophthalmology are required.
This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan payment reimbursement program. You must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA policy
This position will report to the Chief, Eye Care Service or designee. The Ophthalmologist shall be expected to participate in medical duties or functions related to quality of care, peer review, improvement and with other performance improvement activities at the direction of the Chief, Eye Care Service and the Chief of Staff.
Duties will include providing a full spectrum of eye care including but not limited to:
- Assessing and examining patients to diagnosis and develop treatment plans.
- Managing ophthalmic conditions, taking into consideration both medical and psychological aspects of patient care.
- Performing surgical procedures related to injuries and diseases of the eye and visual system.
- Perform a variety of laser surgeries with YAG, SLT, and Argon lasers.
- Collaborating with other physician specialists and medical staff in overall treatment of patient medical conditions.
- Managing medical disorders affecting vision, such as inflammatory, vascular, neurological and genetic disorders, thyroid eye disease, diabetes and strokes.
- Communicating with patients and family members educating then to understand their medical condition.
- Supporting health promotion and disease prevention activities.
- Completing clinical charting and documentation appropriately and in a timely manner.
Outstanding interpersonal skills are essential, as the successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary staff in the delivery of excellent health care to our nation's Veterans. The ophthalmologist will serve as the VA Site Director for the Ophthalmology residency program with responsibilities will include orientation of the new residents, overseeing clinical and surgical care provided by the residents, regular meetings with residents to discuss updates/issues, mentoring of residents, and ensuring guidance of VA policies/procedures by the residents. The ophthalmologist will represent ophthalmology VA and contract staff at weekly morbidity and mortality meetings. The staff ophthalmologist will assist with multiple administrative duties including schedule template guidance, clinic pertinence reviews, attendance at Eye Care Service staff meetings monthly and other ad hoc meetings such as laser safety and peer review.
The Ophthalmologist will establish professional working relationships with contract ophthalmology staff and other clinical service providers within the center and outlying Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs), providing telephone and e-consult consultations as needed and screening consults that are received for appropriateness prior to scheduling.
Work Schedule: Full Time
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Permanent Change of Station (PCS): Not authorized
Financial Discloser Report: Not required
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the full questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section. You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
To preview the questionnaire click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11273982.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
420 James Road
Columbus, OH 43219
Chalmers Wylie VA Clinic and OSUMC are equal-opportunity employers and are committed to providing a workplace free from harassment or discrimination. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, sex, pregnancy, or conditions related to pregnancy, national origin/ancestry, citizenship, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by law. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring practices, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs. Members of underrepresented minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.